Book: Managing Workplace Negativity - Gary Topchik


Synopsis

The symptoms: increased customer complaints, high turnover, low quality of work, increased absences, loss of morale and motivation, lack of creativity and innovation, loss of loyalty to the organization. The diagnosis: workplace negativity. The cure: Managing Workplace Negativity . Workplace negativity may seem like an intangible problem—but it has very tangible consequences for the companies it afflicts. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that U.S. companies lose $3 billion a year to the effects of negative attitudes and behaviors at work.

Managing Workplace Negativity gives managers, team leaders, trainers, and other human resources professionals much-needed help in treating the negativity bug. It will help readers:

  • Identify the 14 types of negative individuals, from the "not-my-jobber" to the "rumor monger"
  • Confront their own negativity
  • Recognize negativity "trigger points"
  • Overcome entrenched, ongoing negativity
  • Deal with group or company-wide negativity problems
  • Create a positive environment that enhances morale and productivity.
  • 1 comment:

    1. There was a time at my current job where this book would have really come in handy. I don't think I knew how to recognize negativity "trigger points." Based on my education, I feel like I now would be able understand the roots of these problems and how to overcome this negativity. The one thing that I would really be interested in reading would be to see what I could do to create a positive environment that improves morale and productivity within the workplace.

      ReplyDelete